Crispy Roast Pork or otherwise known as lechon kawali – my all-time favorite! I finally tried making it at home and it came out perfect. The skin was crunchy and the meat was juicy and not dry at all. And guess what?! I used Philips air fryer to cook it. Most of the oil from the fats dripped through the basket into the container, so the roast pork was not that oily anymore. You can also use turbo broiler or the oven to do this.
What you need:
1. Pork belly, uncut (better to choose one that is with little fat only)
2. Rock salt or sea salt
How to make it: (This method was shared to me by my friend Eugene.)
1. Pluck all the “hair” from the skin using tweezers
2. Rub the pork belly with rock salt all over
3. Let it boil in water for 2 hours
4. Bring it out from water and poke the skin with fork (Tip: Poke as many holes as you can because it will make the skin crunchier by doing so)
5. Let it cool
6. Put in the freezer overnight
7. No need to defrost. Set air fryer to 180 degrees and cook it for 30 minutes, adjust temperature to 200 degrees and cook it for another 30 minutes.
8. You might want to let it cool for a bit or if you’re excited to eat it like me, slice away! I think it would be easier to use a sharp butcher’s knife for this.