Today I tried this recipe from Carlsbad Cravings entitled “Best Baked ‘Fried’ Chicken.” It was delicious and had me craving for more indeed! The meat was tender and juicy and the spices kicked it up a notch.
What you need:
- 1 chicken breast fillet, sliced into chicken tenders (makes around 10 pieces)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 oz butter
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- To make the buttermilk, I used 1/2 cup milk and 2 tsp white vinegar. Stir and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Mix all the spices together. In a reseable bag, add 1/2 tbsp of the spice mixture and prepared buttermilk into a reseable freezer bag. Shake it a bit to mix them together. Add the chicken pieces into the bag and marinate for 6-24 hours. Set aside remaining spice mixture.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Line a baking pan with parchment or baking paper. Place butter on top and melt in the oven while preheating. Remove the pan when butter has melted and spread the butter using a brush.
- Mix the flour, breadcrumbs, and remaining spice mixture together in a bowl. Place half of the mixture in a reseable bag.
- Use a large rectangular (or any shape) strainer, line it with paper towel, and place over the sink. Remove chicken pieces from buttermilk mixture and let them rest on the paper towel for a while. Dab before transferring to the bag with coating.
- Place half of the chicken pieces inside the bag and shake to coat them. Further press the coating onto the pieces with your hands outside the bag.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to the baking tray with butter, then do the other half the same way.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then carefully flip the pieces and bake for another 5 minutes. Afterwhich, turn oven switch to broiler function and broil until golden brown or desired crispiness. Midway, flip the chicken pieces again.
- Serve immediately with your favorite side dish or rice.